Indonesia is not just a passing interest for us, we've been involved in sharing the Good News there for more than 20 years. Below is a high-level timeline describing our experiences there:
- 1991: John and Garvisa met Ken and Ginny Mauger who shared their burden for Bali with them.
- 1992: The Strouds moved to Indonesia to begin bi-vocational ministry among the 3.5 million Balinese Hindu people.
- 1993 – 1996: They discipled young men and women on Bali including Asri, Theo, Suhenes, Putu Sumarmi, and others.
- 1996: They moved to Yogyakarta, Central Java to continue making disciples and encouraging church leaders.
- 1996 – 1999: Continued bivocational ministry of discipleship and leadership development.
- 1999: The Stroud family left Indonesia to return to the US, maintaining long-distance relationship with Indonesian disciples.
- 2004: John joined the staff of Grace Life Community Church and began to introduce the church to ministries in SE Asia.
- 2005: Bobby Stroud passed away and memorial fund was established in his name to fund the construction of a church on Bali.
2006 Return to Bali
- 2006: John, Garvisa and Brian returned to Indonesia to:
- Participate in the wedding of Luh Asri and Kristian Lehom.
- Memorialize the 1-year anniversary of Bobby’s passing with Indonesian family and friends.
- Deliver Memorial Fund gifts for use on church construction.
- Pave the way for ongoing ministry relationships in SE Asia.
- 2009: “Impact Bali 2009” mission trip where 14 representatives of GLCC went to Bali to conduct the first-ever “Choose Life Conference” and establish the “Choose Life Counseling Center” directed by Kristian Lehom.
- 2010: Ten Life Choices translated into the Indonesian Language.
- 2010: “Engage Bali 2010” mission trip to conduct additional “Choose Life” conferences and participate in the 25th Anniversary.
Kris, Asri, Kheny & Sasha
- 2011: “Equip Bali 2011” to conduct “Choose Life” and “Life Now in Marriage” conferences on Bali and East Java.
- 2013: “Encourage Indonesia 2013” Is scheduled to encourage Kris and Asri during a time of family crisis, expand the work of CLI further into Central Java, and conduct another “Life Choices in Marriage” conference on Bali.